11/10/10

Leaks.

Leaks are not good. In fact, more often than not they are outright devastating.

A leak can sink a ship.


Or define your elementary career.


But I'm not talking about leaks in the bulkhead or your under-roos. I'm talking about when an album leaks. For a complete teardown of the term, I don't mean when an album can't hold water without spraying it all over the place, I'm talking about when an album finds its way to the internet masses before its official release date. For example, Kid Cudi's Man on the Moon II: the Legend of Mr. Rager could be found and downloaded about 3 weeks ago. And since I live with the venerable and multi-talented AP, it had been found and downloaded about 3 weeks ago.

Got it.


To put this in terms our readership can ably grasp, we have had this album for around 3 episodes of Modern Family. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "That's awesome, you've been able to jam that record for like 3 weeks!" And yes, we have had that opportunity. But we only jammed it for like 10 days. I'm sure at some point it will resurface and get quite a few more listens, but in this day and age of constant new tunes, it's hard to focus.

So what's the big deal? My issue with leaks didn't really arise until yesterday, Man on the Moon II's actual release day. Twitter and Facebook seemed to be alive with excitement for this highly anticipated rap album. We were being left out of a great collective human experience.

Like this kid.



Now I'm not trying to talk us up as the great finders and lovers of leaked albums like it elevates us to some type of musical Olympus. What it really means is that we spend a lot of time on the internet and don't have many other friends. But let's get back on topic.

It just so happened that this bit of leak related soul-searching fell near another bit of leakage--and no we're not talking about that moldy pipe under the sink. We're talking about the news out of beautiful Boulder that this guy...


...was getting fired and this guy...


...was replacing him.

I got this news from my favorite Buffs related news site--shout out! www.cuatthegame.com.
However, I got this leaked news pretty late at night, before it reached much of the Colorado faithful. So, the next morning I was left out of the general euphoria that swept the Black & Gold Nation.

Pretty much, leaks are the opposite of "wasting the good surprise on you."


Well, that's that.

Oh, and I guess this album leaked. I'm not gonna download it though. Because I already hate it.


Cynicism is in for the 2010s.

No comments:

Post a Comment