2/12/10

Venice Carnevale


Sorry it has taken me so long to get a post up about Venice. We went there last weekend for Carnevale and it was a blast. A group of students signed up for a bus service that took us there early in the morning and returned us around 3am in Florence. Venice is an amazingly beautiful city. It was a little chilly (like 45 degrees), but it didn't dampen my spirit. Carnevale wasn't exactly what a lot of the Americans were expecting I don't think. I think a lot of them thought it was going to be more like Mardi Gras in New Orleans. I don't think the American gringo realize that Italians don't really rage like that. They save that more for the "discotecas". Carnevale is a lot more sophisticated and classy than that.
Venice is one of the most unique cities in the world. Not very many places in the world where you can walk across bridges every other block and have a gondola with a hot and heavy couple blow by underneath you. Yeah it's romantic. San Marco square was really cool and very busy. It was loaded with people dressed up in masks for carnevale and bands playing music. It was a great scene. I ended up purchasing a mask for about 10 euro I think. Not sure, I just remember that I spent a lot more than that on vino that day. I regret not getting this black mask that reminded me of the ones the siblings from the swedish electronic band, The Knife, wear on stage. My favorite place we had a bottle of wine was definitely this small restaurant where we sat outside right next to the board walk. It was pretty amazing to have a glass of wine while overlooking the beautiful bay area. Overall it was a great experience and I truly think Venice was of the coolest cities in the world. I am going to Siena and San Giurgno tomorrow. I am really looking forward to it. Apparently, Siena is kind of a rival city of Florence, more from the olden days but it still rivals Florence for its art. If that's really the case, then I am pretty excited to see it because Florence is pretty amazing. Till next time, buena sera, ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment